Industrial Worker’s Housing in industrial Zones of Cikarang, Bekasi
Indra Budiman Syamwil, Ir., M.Sc., PhD.
Adib Abadi, Ir., M.Sc. Dr.
Sri Suryani ST., M.Sc.
Usie Fauzia A., ST.
The study is a preliminary step towards building knowledge and mapping stakeholders on the provision of housing for workers in industrial zone development. The aim of the activity is to investigate housing and settlements, including dwelling behaviour of workers in industrial zone. Hypotheses on dwelling culture touch upon several factors on socio-cultural aspects, income level, and tenure security. The theoretical framework to analyse the issues is by using housing priority/choice related to dwelling behaviour that is close to the residents’ willingness to pay.
The following are the steps on reasearch and building networks:
- Cooperation with Ministry of Public Works and People’s Housing, Ministry of Industry and industrial development association in order to know the effectivity of laws and policy on industrial development
- The effect on dwelling behaviour and housing choices among workers in industrial zone development
- Building networks with local stakeholders, including NGOs with similar programme and activities related to built environment issues in the area
- Identifying the working transition and trends, including characteristics of workers in relation to housing demands in industrial zone development
- Investigating the willingness to pay among workers and supply side of housing for workers
During our work, we’ve succesfully collected data, performing careful observation and analysis on several topics:
- Information on housing condition, urban morphology, housing clusters inside and outside the industrial zone
- Data on dwelling behaviour of workers in Cikarang Industrial Zone
- Data on local policy and regulations on land provision for housing worker as integral elements in industrial zone development and its debates
- Opportunity to create hypotheses on the assembling of living-work place would create an integral planning and design of sustainable urban housing.